Old 01-08-2007, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Vanini John Vanini is offline

Default Green potatoes

Thanks to all for your replies. My wife was adamant that she has always cut
off the green bit and I've never noticed!

I can't remember who it was on TV who said not to eat any of the potato but
he was so emphatic that I began to doubt my memory!

Oh dear, my wife's right again! One of these days it must be my turn!

Regards,

John

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

I remember my mother, way back in the 1940s and 1950s, cutting and
throwing away the green, poisonous, portion of a potato and using the
rest of it in cooking - she assumed, obviously, that what was left
would be alright and safe to eat and I and my siblings are all alive
and well so she must have been right to a certain extent!

Recently, on a TV gardening program, however, we were told to throw
away the whole potato as it was all poisonous. However, in this day
and age, I don't trust everything I see and hear on TV.

This year, I had a very good crop of potatoes but some of the very
large ones are partially green. Was my mother right or should I throw
away the green ones? Having not had the problem because all our
potatoes came from the greengrocer or supermarket until I got my
allotment a couple of years ago, I'm not sure what to do.

I'd be grateful for any advice, please.

I eat them green, as long as they cook all right and will still mash. I
haven't died yet, to my knowledge, nor become ill.

Mind, I haven't died of smoking 20 Marlboro a day since I was 14, nor
drinking wifebeater to excess, driving an unfeasibly large motorbike, hang
gliding or testing the HT on the back of televisions using my fingers.

I shall probably be run over by a bus later. If I am, La Puce wants my
Bougainvillea. Everyone else can have what's left in the fridge :-)