Old 01-08-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default Bigger pond

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:15:21 CST, "George"
wrote:

Yep. Sounds like a recipe for sinkhole formation. Keep your safety ropes
handy. lol

What you say is largely true. Right where I live, however, there is
virtually no chance of significant cavern formation underground. I'm
right at the top (154') of the drainage in my area, there is
practically nothing higher. When it rains here, the rain begins it's
journey to the Suwannee River. Granted, I'm not that far from the
Suwannee, but virtually all the cavern development occurs within just
a couple of miles from the Suwannee or its tributaries. I've been
exploring caves for over 40 years, and moved to this area specifically
because it is one of the best places in the world (no exaggeration)
for cave diving, but there is virtually nothing here that favors
cavern development. A few miles from here they are probably on "pins
and needles," and should be, but right here it isn't a problem. I
could probably go on and on about limestone hydrology, but I won't.
Suffice it to say that it is virtually impossible for a sinkhole to
form here, but if it did, I'd be thrilled and not the least bit
rattled.
--
Galen Hekhuis
We'll cross that bridge when it rears its ugly head