Old 02-08-2007, 07:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham Dave Gillingham is offline

Default Den speciosum

Gene,

Some of the other Aussies may like to reply as well.

D. speciosum is a very widespread plant in Oz, rangeing from north east Victoria
to tropical Queensland, with something like 8 varieties identified. In whatever
region, it almost always grows in mountainous areas, usually east side ie
towards our fairly narrow coastal plains, on rock faces or high in trees. Almost
all the varieties strongly prefer good air movement (high trees or cliff faces,
or creek gorges), which typically also provide good humidity. However, our
winters on the east coast are periods of much reduced rainfall - but not full
drought. Hence the standard advice you cite.

My advice would be to water it occasionally, no more than once weekly, but on a
warm day. This assumes a well-drained medium. Light needs are variable,
depending on the variety, but typically good filtered sun.

Flowering? Mature size for varieties ranges from 10-12" th 24" plus, so it's
hard to suggest when yours may bloom. The standard wisdom also suggests most
varieties need a cold snap to stimulate flowering - warm winters are typically
followed by poor blooming.

Because of its size, D. speciosum is usually much longer from seedling to
flowering than most othes Aussie Dens. I have a variety grandiflorum that I
purchased as an advanced seedling in 2004 - I wouldn't expect flowers for at
least a couple of years yet.

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 01:46:04 GMT, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:

Need some info from the orchid lovers from down under. I have a Den
speciosum that is in the second year of my care. I think I got it from H&R
last year. It now is in a 6 inch clay pot and putting out two nice growths
that are starting to harden off.

I see on a website that this species needs a dry cool winter. When they say
dry do they mean no water at all like the Den aggregatum? Full drought or
just dryer than summer watering? How large does this plant have to be before
I can expect a bloom? The new growth for this year look to be about 6-7
inches long.

Thanks,
Gene

Dave Gillingham