Old 02-08-2007, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default it's flying ant day!

On 2/8/07 11:26, in article
,
" wrote:

On Aug 2, 11:15 am, Sacha wrote:
On 2/8/07 11:14, in article

My step daughter, who lives just minutes from here, says she's had four lots

of flying ants, all on different days.

I've just opened the shutters on an unused bedroom here and I noticed
a few flying ants but in Norfolk where I usually live, the ants were
around last Thursday flying everywhere, including my garden room. I
have no idea how they got in!

IME they live in walls, under terraces etc. and are almost impossible to get
rid of. That said, while they're not pleasant to see around the kitchen in
any great numbers and they can nip, if disturbed, they don't spread disease
or do any real harm that I'm aware of. In my early days on urg, I seem to
remember someone suggesting sprinkling Vim or Ajax powder (can one still
find it?) around the places they travel. I tried that and it did seem to
work.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk