Old 02-08-2007, 03:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
John Varigos John Varigos is offline

Default D. speciosum for Gene & a pic from Wendy

Wendy

The photo was of the flowering 2 years ago when it had 27 spikes - didn't
bother counting the flowers! Don't think this year will be as good.

The Dendrobium is growing in the crown of the stag. The orchid roots are
spread throughout the fern making it inseparable. I hung the whole lot up
with wire attached to a hook on the wall. The fern is flush with the wall
and seems to attach where it is in contact. The roots of the Dend have now
also attached to the wall and are slowly spreading out as the leaf litter
catches between them and the wall. The jacaranda leaf is very fine and
seems to fill all the little crevices around the roots and in the crown of
the fern making wonderful free draining compost.

I am fearful that one day the weight of the orchid/fern will pull the wall
over.

Your plant is certainly looking healthy - nice flowering.

Cheers

John

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Is that ever neat John,
Just how is the Staghorn attached to the wall? Is this an old photo, or
not in bloom now?

For Gene,
My big Den. speciosum, don't know the variety, flowers are a lemon
yellow ,
It gets watered once a week & more during our hot summer days here in
S.Calif., zone 9/10
It must be a very old plant, when I got it, it was already in a huge 3gal
pot, in 1995.
It broke into 3 or 4 chunks & I mounted the largest in an old hollowed out
tree stump which
hangs in a all day sunny area but under 65% shadecloth.
It blooms faithfully every year & still puts out new pseudos. Photo from
3/06
Cheers Wendy

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Not sure what happened to the photo - let's try again. This photo refers
to a discussion on RGO.
John