Old 02-08-2007, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Default Removing small roots from lawn

jeffc wrote:
I'm transplanting some grass from healthy areas of my lawn that I'm trimming
back, to thin areas in several spots. The grass is thin and not really
growing probably due to rocky soil (heavy gravel left there from
preconstruction) and also probably due to shallow roots from some pines. If
I'm cutting up small areas (several feet square in several places) how do I
best cut out these roots? They are 1/4" to maybe 3/4" in size. Tried a
tree pruning saw but it curves the wrong way. Other saws, or something else
altogether?

If you don't care about the tree - they make pruning blades for sawzalls
that really do a number on roots. They are about 8-10" long and go
through dirt and roots with ease. I don't know about gravel and rocks.
Maybe look for a carbide blade.

--
Art