Old 03-08-2007, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham Dave Gillingham is offline

Default Den speciosum

Pat, in many areas speciosum & kingianum co-exist & bloom. In fact, there' s a
natural hybrid, Dendrobium x delicatum that is speciosum x kingianum. So, if
your kingianum is blooming there's a good chance conditions are right to bloom
the speciosum hybrid when it's ready. D. Ira Butler is 50% jonesii (biggish),
25% speciosum (big) & 25% tetragonum ("normal" sized). All components are from
Section Dendrocoryne of the Dendrobes, & require broadly similar growing
conditions, though tetragonum typically likes a bit less light. If you keep it
& flower it, it should be rewarding.

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 06:31:46 -0400, "Pat Brennan"
wrote:

Not good, not good. I have a couple of flasks worth of plants of Den
speciosum X Den Ira Butler that I was hoping to start seeing flowers on this
winter. They already are the largest plants in my Den section. Sounds like
it might be a few more years; more repotting and larger pots. My question
is just how cold do they need to get to set spikes. I am growing them in a
greenhouse which does not go below 62 F. The kingianum and its hybrids
bloom fine in this greenhouse. I have a couple of flasks of Den speciosum X
Den Ivory in 3 inch pots and am wondering if I should cut and run. There is
always room for one more plant in the compost pile.

Pat

Dave Gillingham