Old 03-08-2007, 02:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WaltA WaltA is offline

Default Water Butt Irrigation

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 00:57:20 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

"Kroma" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

I have a very dry flower bed along the front of my house as it is

shielded
by part of my roof.
I'm planning to put a water butt at the corner of the house and run a

hose
from it as an overflow. I am hoping to 'drill' some holes along the

length
of the hose and lay this along the aforementioned dry flower bed.

Would
this then irrigate my flower bed as I hope (as long as the water butt

is
full).

Any tips or ideas gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Kroma

I do not think that it will work simply because the force of water will
not be sufficient for it to percolate effectively along the length of
hosepipe. Hopefully I am wrong.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

You are right that the hydrostatic pressure will reduce along the pipe
the further from the butt, ( the loss will be determined by the size
of the holes I think, without going back to my books
however, there is a solution
( sorry for the pun!) :

The pipe from the butt should be taken to a 'Y' (to the bottom, tail,
of the Y junction)
The perforated irrigation pipe is then used as a loop between the two
other ends of the Y
( the top ends as she is written in english (!) )

That way equipotential is maintained along its length.