Old 03-08-2007, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Green pumpkins

jmagerl said:

When they say 130 days to maturity, is that from when the fruit first forms
or from when you palnt the seed?

Days to maturity generally means from the time of transplant (or, when
direct seeding, from the time of emergence).

Example: I planted the seeds indoors on May 1. May 31, I stuck the plant
in the ground, July 15 is when I saw my first fruit. Will I have ripe fruit by
HAlloween with a 130 day maturity? Chicago area

Eeeeh, it's possible, barely, but the weather has to hold up through
mid-October. If late September turns cold and damp, or there is an
early frost...well, I remember snow on Columbus day. But that was
14 years ago...may never see that again.

(attributed to Don Marti)