Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Water Butt Irrigation

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Kroma" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a very dry flower bed along the front of my house as it is
shielded by part of my roof.
I'm planning to put a water butt at the corner of the house and run a
hose from it as an overflow. I am hoping to 'drill' some holes along the
length of the hose and lay this along the aforementioned dry flower bed.
Would this then irrigate my flower bed as I hope (as long as the water
butt is full).

Any tips or ideas gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Kroma

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/In...sories_25.html

Soaker Hose at the bottom of their page.

Hope that helps

Sorry for following my own post, but I remembered that I had seen this hose
in the Plastics by Post shop the other day. This company have now moved to
about half a mile away from me and I had reason to visit.

http://www.plasticsbypost.net/mainpa...gationpage.htm

You may be interested in an installation I did last Summer which is very
much in line with what you wish to do. I built a veranda right across the
back of our house to cover the patio. We are on the South of the Isle of
Wight and have a South facing garden. Lovely to have the patio doors open,
BUT, when we have short sharp showers the doors have to be closed. Not now.

I fitted guttering to this and installed a water butt at one end under the
veranda. This is high enough to get a watering can under the tap at the
front BUT, I have a tap at the back as well, ready for an irrigation hose to
snake out over the flower beds.

Not done it yet!!!! I wonder why!!

The overflow also snakes out under some trees so even when its raining and
the trees are covering the ground and preventing the rain reaching the soil,
the overflow will supply water :-)

Hope that helps as well!

Mike
Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk
and to those contacting me, yes I am the chap organising the massive Royal
Navy Reunion in February on Hayling Island.