Old 03-08-2007, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kroma Kroma is offline

Default Water Butt Irrigation

"brian mitchell" wrote in message
(WaltA) wrote:

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 00:57:20 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

I do not think that it will work simply because the force of water will
not be sufficient for it to percolate effectively along the length of
hosepipe. Hopefully I am wrong.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

You are right that the hydrostatic pressure will reduce along the pipe
the further from the butt, ( the loss will be determined by the size
of the holes I think, without going back to my books

It won't be a particularly long run of irrigation hose - maybe 3 to 4 metres
in a straight line.

From all the replies, I think I may give it a go. Now, should I leave the
end open or will the water simply rush out of there and reduce the flow from
the holes (possibly leaving me with a flood)? How big should I make the
holes?

Thanks,

Kroma