Old 03-08-2007, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Water Butt Irrigation

On Aug 3, 2:02 am, Stan The Man wrote:
In article , Emrys Davies

wrote:
"Kroma" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

I have a very dry flower bed along the front of my house as it is

shielded
by part of my roof.
I'm planning to put a water butt at the corner of the house and run a

hose
from it as an overflow. I am hoping to 'drill' some holes along the

length
of the hose and lay this along the aforementioned dry flower bed.

Would
this then irrigate my flower bed as I hope (as long as the water butt

is
full).

Any tips or ideas gratefully received.

I do not think that it will work simply because the force of water will
not be sufficient for it to percolate effectively along the length of
hosepipe. Hopefully I am wrong.

It will work if the butt is high enough. Failing that, it will
definitely work with a water butt pump, eghttp://www.garden4less.co.uk/water-butt-pump.asp- Hide quoted text -

That pump is a bit pricey and 2000 L/hour is a lot of water (2 cubic
metres). My pump is about 8L/min and needs about 15 minutes a day
total to do everything on drip irrigation. It is a cheap solar pump ~
£15 from Bull Electrical - 12v battery also needed & timer to run it.
You also need to watch out for syphon problems.

http://www.bullybeef.co.uk/pumps-air-water-electric.htm

One thing to remember is that mosquito larvae will clog up any jets or
fine holes unless you put an old piece of stocking or tights over the
inlet end.

I doubt if you can get it to balance without having an active pumped
system. The plants nearest the water but will get all the water and
the most distant ones will get nothing.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Regards,