Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default When to harvest vegetables in your garden?

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"O My Garden" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are no precise guidelines as to when to harvest your vegetables.
Most vegetables shold be harvested just before full maturity, for
maximum flavor and the most pleasant texture.

So what is the point of a generalisation that is of no value? "Just before
full maturity" is useless as we are not told what "full maturity" means or
if it means the same thing in all cases and a great many vegetables are NOT
picked just before full maturity . As the detail (snipped) goes on to say
things like zucchini are picked very immature, corn at a specific point of
maturity and pumpkins when quite mature.

David

I still like Kay's answer about when to pick: two weeks after the
racoons eat them.
--
FB - FFF

Billy