Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cupra cupra is offline

Default Crocuses....in summer?

K wrote:
Frank Booth Snr writes
cupra wrote:
Frank Booth Snr wrote:

I know we've has some freak weather this summer, but walking
through my local park this morning the ground was dotted with
autumn crocuses. These normally come out in late September.

Unfortunately I did not have my camera on me, but if anyone's
interested I'll go down there tomorrow and post some photos.
The ivy on the wall opposite my house is turning to it's leaves
red already - way ahead of last year.

That's not ivy. Sounds like Virginia Creeper to me.

Virginia Creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia, has five leaflets.
Probably what this is is the other Parthenocissus which is known as
Boston Ivy.

Looks like it is but will check when I get home!

But not a 'proper' ivy, which is Hedera.

Ah, but 'Parthenocissus League' is more of a mouthful than 'Ivy'!