Old 04-08-2007, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Product pushers misleading the public

Val

I really hate mentioning product names. Anyway, one fertilizer I use is
"plant tone". Its mislabeled as well. It is supposed to have 16 essential
elements. Used to have a big jug of micro-elements. It had no nitrogen.
I wish I could find it again.

If anybody knows of a source for micro-elements please let me know. I would
like to add it to my tool box.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Val" wrote in message

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry Miracle Grow, but you are a prime example of what I mean. They
claim they can sell you plant food.

~snipped for efficient band width usage~

What are you thoughts?

Interesting that this topic was covered in about 4 minutes, in simple
layman's terms, on Seattle's Cisco show a few days ago. Essentially his
message was nourish and build the soil, don't feed the plant. If the soil
is healthy the plant will take care of its self. Test your soil and go
organic. Miracle Gro was mentioned, after a quick sucking of air through
the teeth, nervous chuckle and "Oooo, la la" his answer was pretty much;
You'll get fast lush growth, very pretty for the short term but creates a
plant magnet for sucking insects and disease. Healthy soil, healthy plants
more resistant to insects, disease and extreme weather. Compost, compost,
compost and go organic.

I use no pesticides. My only soil amendments and additions are from a
small worm bin (no longer have a large garden and there's no room for a
compost bin on my apartment balcony) and a bag of organic alfalfa pellets
purchased at a feed store, has been for years. I have a wide variety of
exceptionally healthy trees, vines, flowers (mostly perennials), herbs,
various bulbs (the same ones I planted 6 years ago and they keep right on
blooming and multiplying, like I was told they wouldn't) and plants, many
of which I was told would not grow in containers but are doing
beautifully, with only an occasional spring aphid infestation that is
quickly staunched by a good blast of water. I have also not changed out
any of the soil in the pots for over 6 years and IMO it's now better than
the original bagged stuff I started with. Oh, and not to forget, I give
everything a good drink in early spring and mid summer with liquid kelp.
It all works well for me. I have people from 3 stories below on the
sidewalk call up to me when I am working on my balcony to tell me how
incredibly lush and beautiful it looks.

Val