Old 03-08-2007, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default composters and proximity to plants

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:

I'm not sure what a townhouse is. I've been in a condo once.
I think they're probably similar. Small decks/patios and neighbors
elbow to jowl. (Sorry, my rural bias is showing.)

A townhouse is a two story condo, essentially.

I'm angling towards eventually buying some land in Mississippi where my
family is. can't afford anything here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

We were born & raised in the Bay Area. My little brother didn't
buy a house soon enough. He's out in the San Joaquin now, where
he could afford to buy an acre and build a house.

The older brother bought his land, cheap, in the early '70's
and built a huge house out of materials he salvaged from
demolition jobs. (My dad was a demolition contractor.)
He's been turning down *big* money for that house for
30 years now. (It took us three kids seven years to build
that house. All three of us work/worked the building trades.)

Land in Mississippi sounds just right. You'll be able to
afford to buy enough to have some elbow room and enough
for a nice, big garden : )

Jan in Alaska

PS: Yes, you can grow adzuki beans in the Bay Area and you
can probably plant now and have plenty of time for them.

I'm on the six weeks until hard frost count down. I'm going
to plant some beet seeds today and see if they'll make it,
with a small hoop house/row cover later on.