Old 03-08-2007, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_25_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_25_] is offline

Default green potatoes

"keith g" wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
news
"keith" wrote:

The green appears to be only on the
peel but I have read somewhere that green potatoes can be poisonous.

It's caused by exposure to light, before or after harvest. I forget the
chemical name; the green pigment is toxic, but is destroyed by heat. So
unless you eat your spuds raw (I went to a talk by a potato and tomato
breeder, and he does just that to test), I wouldn't worry.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Thanks Gary and Robert. I feel better now !I remember when I used to grow
spuds if any pushed through the soil when growing they turned green and I
just dumped them in case.
Robert,Nothing to do with spuds or gardening but it is nice to see someone
from Plymouth. I spent a lot of time there in 1940s and 50s in Drake
barracks and on different ships .

Oh I see, Drake's still there as you know I expect although the city is
changing fast these days. You must have been serving during the war?