Old 04-08-2007, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Anthony Anthony is offline

Default Allen shredder & similar users help

"WaltA" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 18:23:33 +0100, Broadback wrote:
WaltA wrote:
Have you got it sorted ?

Having been away for a couple of days

Phew, that's a relief, I thought for a mo. you might have thrown it
off a high cliff in frustration !

I have not yet tried all the
recommendation's, for which I thank you. I am shredding cuttings from
holly, beech and mainly hawthorn.

It should cope with all that.

. As regards the hammers
mentioned I can see none of those in my shredder.

Oh gosh, what is going on ,,, ?

There is a disk which
has cutters on, on the reverse side is a cutter to deal with bigger
sticks.

Oh umm, I dunno what to say
a) have they changed the design ?
or
b) is there more than one Allen shredder
or c) were you not looking in the right place ( I think we can reject
that ! )

wrt (a) I said in my previous post in the original "Shredders" thread
that I could be many years out of date !
Anyhows :
my Allen has a 3 bladed cutter, like a rotary mower on its side but
with 3 instead if 2 blades mounted on the boss(protruding hub) at the
centre of the disk.
On the reverse of this disk it the chipper blade that is a bit like a
blade out of a woodworking plane.

BUT the disc also has a web, (cast in ?) of the same thickness
(approx, I think !) as the hub, which supports at the disk periphery
3 sets of 3 fingers/flails/hammers that do the shredding ( the cutter
blades just cut the stuff up into small bits that are then mashed up
and pulverised by the flails.

Hmmm, it is a bit difficult to describe in words ! The 3 mountings
each support 3 flails, and the axis of the pivot for each flail, one
in front of the other, is aligned with the axis of rotation of the
disk.

It is sort of like a disk with 3 bolts fixed to the edge, each bolt is
in line with the axis of the disk, each bolt carries 3 spaced out
flails, Thes flails are flung outwards and poke between the grating
that is the output grill.

So if you dont have them then it is just a glorified rotary mower,
and I am very puzzled ! (**)

Incidentally feeding sticks in is a bit of a problem, as they
are not drawn in but need feeding all the way,

with mine there is some drawing in of the stick, but depending upon
shape and nobbly bits I sometimes have to shove the last bit in by
hand, well NO! not by hand but with another stick as a 'dolly'.
it is as well to have such a sacrificial stick to hand, it can be kept
for reuse if you are carefull with its use, but better that than your
fingers !

which of course is not
possible, without finger risk.

perish the thought !

Finally there is a metal bar, about 4cm
wide, 25cm long with a hole at one end and chamfered at the other, what
is that for please?

I dont recognise that so either I have a brain failure or there is
summat different, back to (a) or (b) :-(

(**)
Does your machine look like this, which I linked in the original
thread :
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/acatalog/...DERS_1100.html
(beware word wrap)

They do produce different models, leaf chipper/shredder and
chipper/shredder.
The former have serreted shredder blades, and the latter a blade and
hammers.

Have a look on the Mackissic website to see if they have parts diagrams to
help identify your machine.

Cheers
Anthony