Old 04-08-2007, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Sticky pots today

On Aug 3, 8:54 am, "Cliff & Sue Drake" wrote

Wow, a "neighbor" .....Hello neighbor in NorCal..I'll have to watch
what I say Ha ha

Sounds like someone has been to the Plant Barn again! I have the same
problem every time I wander in there....

No the last time I went to thePB to look around, it was closed for
vacation
and I didn't get a thing. These plants were from a visit to Mendon's!!

I love Prairie Sun!! Started some from seed (Territorial Seed Co.) a few
years ago, and still have quite a few plants going strong up here on the
Ridge. Didn't have quite as good luck with the Cherokee Sunsets I
started -- wound up with all doubles, and I prefer singles. And so it
goes.... the wonders of genetics. Very pretty rich colors, though!

I like the singles, too. Prairie Sun is great. I'll have to wait to
see what
the Cherokees are like, they are just buds with no color yet

I also was unable to resist a Blackie earlier this year -- it's in a large
pot near the entry to the house, and looks like it may take over completely
one of these days. It has been blooming away for a couple of months now --
what a stunning pinky-purple color! I'm totally smitten. Have never grown
one of these before -- am assuming I'll have to move it to a more portable
pot and bring it in for the winter. Are you able to overwinter yours
outdoors? Temps sometimes drop down into the 20s in the winter up here.

I don't grow much in containers down here, too dang hot. Have to water
two or more times a day
I think Blackie has grown about a foot, now it is near 6' in diameter.
It is in
the ground and is swallowing the sprinkler, the mini roses and the
blue
fescue and is headed for the weigela! Sw Pot don't make it thru the
winter
here either. We get down to 20 here usually, too.So rather than try to
dig
up this monster I'm going to root a few stems and pot them up.
Yes the shade of purple on the flowers is reallly cool

Enjoy your new beauties!! I will

Happy trails....

Sue
Beautiful Butte County, CA
(which *finally* has a Master Gardener Program!!)
USDA Zone 8 - Sunset Zone 7

Yes, how about THAT
mle