Old 04-08-2007, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Vanini John Vanini is offline

Default green potatoes

Thanks Gill,

That's answered the question brilliantly!

I'm surprised (but shouldn't be) at the different answers to the question
that you can find in books and the Internet so this clears it up nicely.

I am sure you are right so thanks again.

Just a couple of points that I would like clarified, please.

You say about 70% of the solanin is stored in the outer 5mm of the potato.
Is this true of both the green and ordinary potato? I would assume so. If
so, wouldn't it be better, and safer, to peel all potatoes? My wife insists
on not peeling potatoes because of the fibre in the "skin" - would you
consider this to be a safe thing to do or not?

You say, "is not likely to be destroyed by ordinary cooking temperatures"
but doesn't the high temperature of baking remove some of the solanin - and
the hot fat when cooking chips?

Thanks again!

Regards

John

"Gill Matthews" Try the wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
"keith" wrote:

The green appears to be only on the
peel but I have read somewhere that green potatoes can be poisonous.

It's caused by exposure to light, before or after harvest. I forget the
chemical name; the green pigment is toxic, but is destroyed by heat. So
unless you eat your spuds raw (I went to a talk by a potato and tomato
breeder, and he does just that to test), I wouldn't worry.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Because of the interest provoked by the other green potato thread I looked
out
the original new scientist article which was actually one of the last word
articles.
I then back checked in my lecture notes (my degree was in plant
biochemisty)

The green colour is chlorophyll and is not toxic, However it is a symptom
that a
toxic chemical called solanin is being produced in the potato. Solanin is
not
soluble in water and is not likely to be destroyed by ordinary cooking
temperatures.

properly stored potatoes ie not green contain between 100-200mg per kg of
solanin. In
green potatoes this can increase to 1000mg per kg about 70% of the solanin
is stored
in the outer 5mm of the potato it is distributed throughout the skin not
just in the
green bits.

Toxic doses of solanin are 3-6mg per kg of body weight so a person
weighing 50kg (about 8 stone)
would be able to eat up to 750g (1.6lb) of properly stored unpeeled potato
without risk of ill
effect. The safe dose would go down to 150g (5oz) of unpeeled green
potato. If only one end
of the potato was green and you cut it off, but cooked the rest of the
potato with its skin
on or only scraped it you may run into trouble, but if you peeled the
potato all over then
you could safely eat quite a lot (depends on depth of peeling)

Solanin tastes bitter (apparently) and I would therefore not eat any
potato that tated bitter
I would hesitate to serve green potatoes to children because they have a
low body mass and
a large appetite.

Solanin is a neurotoxin at low doses is causes dry mouth and palpitations
at higher doses
it causes halucination and paralysis followed by death. solanin toxicity
and death in humans
has been reported but here my stats are hopelessly out of date as it is a
long time since I
left Uni

Gill M