Old 04-08-2007, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default green potatoes

In article ,
"John Vanini" writes:

| You say about 70% of the solanin is stored in the outer 5mm of the potato.
| Is this true of both the green and ordinary potato? I would assume so. If
| so, wouldn't it be better, and safer, to peel all potatoes? My wife insists
| on not peeling potatoes because of the fibre in the "skin" - would you
| consider this to be a safe thing to do or not?

No. Something like 80% of the ascorbic acid is, too, and that counteracts
the solanin.

| You say, "is not likely to be destroyed by ordinary cooking temperatures"
| but doesn't the high temperature of baking remove some of the solanin - and
| the hot fat when cooking chips?

The former, yes. I don't know if solanin is soluble in fat.

| Solanin tastes bitter (apparently) and I would therefore not eat any
| potato that tated bitter
| I would hesitate to serve green potatoes to children because they have a
| low body mass and
| a large appetite.

They typically also have a high sensitivity to bitterness.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.