Old 04-08-2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mike Mike is offline

Default Corn Yuck

I had a question about some latter season corn stalks I planted.
While the earlier variety did much better I noticed the late species
developed some rotting mush in the tips.
I don’t know if over watering contributed to this. There was more! Small
black beetle like bugs that caused a black aphid infested mold between the
leaves that also attracted ants. Some of the ears had a big ugly worm in the
rotting mush!

Also, how many ears of corn should one expect per stalk ?
I got one regular size and one slightly smaller and 2 or 3 more that were
undeveloped.

Thanks!