Old 04-08-2007, 07:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
bent bent is offline

Default What's right soil for ROS cutting: sand, or perlite: what?

"I have a 50 yr old purple Rose of Sharon planted in my front yard in
Toronto. It has a mossy green covering, and the whole thing is split at the
base into the dirt, snd even those branches are split, pinned with bolts,
and are dying and breaking off."

btw, whats the mossy stuff?

I was curious why there is branching at and into the ground, because of it,
the tree looks like it is split (like its been damaged) and maybe it is,
because it looks like one trunk was split into 3 or 4 branches down and into
the dirt, and the bark didn't grow back cover the insides vry well. And I
am curious if this will happen again, and if this complicates the clippings
process, or time, or choice of clippings. And if I have a choice. Why do
you say if it is a clumping variety, I should start several in a pot. Are
they clumping together (is each branch is a clipping that has mingled
together?). What would happen if I used a single in each pot (like 9 pots
instead of 3x3pots) - would I get the same final result by using the best in
eac scenario. Are you saying it takes mor ethan one clipping?

And why is someone saying several pots (w/ several in each pot)? Just
increasing the odds again?

I came up with 4 yrs. only b/c theres one in my neighbors sidewalk that
started itself that is about 6 foot high, and I can only remember it being
there for maybe 5 years. The dying? original is maybe 12 foot high, and I
can't see myself dropping in a tiny thing, and am only guessing. I am just
going by 6 feet in 5 years and dividing. No idea really. How long do you
think.

At any time before I transplant it into the yards' dirt, will I be changing
to soil other than the original (ie egHD perlite, or sand) from pot to pot.
To be honest I like the idea of using 12" pts, and not changing ever from
the beginning until its ready to transplant. I have 2 for sure, and I may
have another, or can get one more to make 3. Is this a problem?