Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
bent bent is offline

Default What's right soil for ROS cutting: sand, or perlite: what?

Does it take several cuttings to get one plant and is that always the same
as the original. Do you need pictures to answer this?

the only waste is the lack of pertinent information which I ask for but fail
to get, as usual. Who do you think you're stepping over in that imaginary
world. If I state something that makes no sense, its probly because the
answer hasn't been given yet, though probly been asked sweveral times here
and elsewhere.

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
bent said:

"I have a 50 yr old purple Rose of Sharon planted in my front yard
in
Toronto. It has a mossy green covering, and the whole thing is split at
the
base into the dirt, snd even those branches are split, pinned with bolts,
and are dying and breaking off."

btw, whats the mossy stuff?

Posting some pics to the web, and linking to them here, would be VERY
helpful. Pics of "the mossy stuff", the entire plant, a closeup of a
bloom,
a branch, the "split base", and a leaf, would be ideal.

I was curious why there is branching at and into the ground, because of
it,
the tree looks like it is split (like its been damaged) and maybe it is,
because it looks like one trunk was split into 3 or 4 branches down and
into
the dirt, and the bark didn't grow back cover the insides vry well. And
am curious if this will happen again, and if this complicates the
clippings
process, or time, or choice of clippings. And if I have a choice. Why
do
you say if it is a clumping variety, I should start several in a pot.
Are
they clumping together (is each branch is a clipping that has mingled
together?). What would happen if I used a single in each pot (like 9
pots
instead of 3x3pots) - would I get the same final result by using the best
in
eac scenario. Are you saying it takes mor ethan one clipping?

I'm saying that it depends on the cultivar. There are probably hundreds of
H. syriacus cultivars. Some grow more from a single trunk and some from
many smaller trunks. Again, pics would be helpful.

And why is someone saying several pots (w/ several in each pot)? Just
increasing the odds again?

If you only start one pot, the stock plant dies, and the cuttings don't
survive, you're screwed. Both have to get through one (more) winter.

I came up with 4 yrs. only b/c theres one in my neighbors sidewalk that
started itself that is about 6 foot high, and I can only remember it
being
there for maybe 5 years. The dying? original is maybe 12 foot high, and
can't see myself dropping in a tiny thing, and am only guessing. I am
just
going by 6 feet in 5 years and dividing. No idea really. How long do
you
think.

Is it the exact same cultivar? They're growth rates may be different. By
starting more cuttings in a single pot, the shrub will fill out more
quickly.

At any time before I transplant it into the yards' dirt, will I be
changing
to soil other than the original (ie egHD perlite, or sand) from pot to
pot.

The sand is only the rooting medium. Once it's developed roots, and it's
first potting up (from 4" to 1#), it goes into a well-draining, potting
mix. During this process, most of the sand will probably fall off the
roots, which is fine. The sand won't hold any elements or other nutrients,
the potting mix will. The plant's water needs will also increase, and
you'll need a medium that can hold more moisture.

To be honest I like the idea of using 12" pts, and not changing ever from
the beginning until its ready to transplant.

If you're going to turn this advice-seeking thread into another waste of
everyone's time (ignoring advice and requests for more info), as you did
with all of the lawn threads, say so now, please. I've little time to
waste
explaing each and every step (the "why's", etc.), only to have you ignore
the advice and do it "your way". If you already have a method in mind, and
you're set to use it, no matter what, then just go do it.

I have 2 for sure, and I may
have another, or can get one more to make 3. Is this a problem?

Yes. Find some 4" pots to start your cuttings.

[newsfeeds spam snipped] --- **** I hate that nsp

--

Eggs

-Half the people you know are below average.