Old 04-08-2007, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Petrol lawnmower ignition adjustment

Theo Markettos wrote:

I posted here in November regarding a petrol lawnmower that was refusing to
start. It's a Tecumseh BVS143 4-stroke engine on an unnamed box, so nothing
special.

snip
So is there an easy way to adjust the coil gap? I'm guessing it must be
possible to get hold of a little kit of plasticard spacers of relevant
thicknesses or something similar - any suggestions from where?

Has it got a good spark? If so, then the gap is fine.

Also, anything else I should be looking at for solving the misfiring?

Shit in the carb.
Take the carb apart and spray it thoroughly with carb cleaner spray.
Make sure it goes into all of the little holes and jets, and that they
are clear.
It should work fine then. - my dealer says 90% of mower faults are
blocked carburettors.
Alan.