Old 05-08-2007, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
gldancer gldancer is offline

Default Mystery plant

On Aug 4, 9:29 am, rachael simpson wrote:
mleblanca wrote:
On Aug 3, 8:18 pm, Jim Kingdon wrote:
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ion=view&curre...
Reminds me of an edible fig tree (Ficus carica). (At least if you are
in zone 7 or warmer, roughly). They do have lobed leaves and probably
could grow that big.
But I'm not sure it is. I'm not sure it really looks the same
(especially where the leaf stalks attach to the branches). I'm
comparing with the first fig picture I found in google:http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/w...006/01/LFig%20...
But I'm far from an expert.

Well you have been doing quite well IMO

It might flower now that it has more light (which would make it much
easier to identify). Hard to know, of course.

You know, Jim, I was thinking the same thing, Fig, but you're correct,
the leaf-stem attachment is not right. (I just went out and checked to
be sure. And I found two ripe figs when I did!) Oh yes, figs can grow
quite large; the problem here is keeping them small enough to reach
the figs.

That plant looks so very familiar. I wish someone had IDed it so
I wouldn't be trying to figure it out all night long

Emilie
NorCal

it looks identical to my mom's white fig to me....even the stem attachment.

if that's the case, then they won't see the flowers, technically. the
flowers are inside the "fruit".

check out:http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/fig.html- Hide quoted text -

IMHO, I think that the leaf is more palmate than the fig. Reminds me
of something, too and I can't think of it! Is there an umbrella fig?

gloria in hemlock hollow