Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Petrol lawnmower ignition adjustment

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
Davy wrote:
Theo,
the symptoms suggest a partially blocked carburettor main jet. Enough
fuel
getting through for idling but not enough for full power.

Thanks. Whereabouts would I find the carburettor - just follow the fuel
line? Is that where the throttle cable goes (which incidentally at the
moment only really has two positions, start/on and a tiny bit further down
splutter/die). Or should I take the flywheel assembly apart? I don't have
any documentation, so I don't know where things are likely to be.

The spark plug and air filter were pretty filthy, so I wouldn't be
surprised
if there were things blocked inside.

Theo

Air filter VERY important. Clean that before you do anything else. The
machine demands air to run, blocked filter starves it of air. FULL STOP
ENGINE.

Spark plug almost as important. A wire brush will clean that and as a VERY
VERY rough guide, the gap between the electrodes should be the thickness of
a thumb nail.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk