Old 05-08-2007, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Untidy, unattractive Lavender plant.

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Stephen" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 5 Aug, 19:39, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Anne Jackson" wrote in message

The message from Stephen contains these words:

So basically the woody part of the bush, never has new growth
sprouting from it?

Not necessarily! Last year, as a result of some anonymous person
breaking off branches from my lavender hedge which was growing
through the fence, and tossing them into the garden, I hacked
the hedge down to just a few inches, meaning to dig it all out
in the spring, and plant a new hedge further back.

To my surprise this spring lots of new shoots emerged from the
old wood, which I had been led to believe wouldn't regenerate.

You could give it a try? If there are any viable shoots at
present, you could stick them into some sandy compost, and
hope that they will root, just as a back-up... ?

--
AnneJ

Couldn't layer the Lavender in our pots :-))

No room :-(

We increase ours, and sell them on when we have the Garden Open, by
tearing
small branches off with a heel and sticking in a pot :-))

Mike

'THE' Association if you served in the Electrical Branch of the Royal
Navy
Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007www.rneba.org.uk
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will have a
Stand

Can I be excused for asking what may be obvious to the res of you...

What do you mean by "heel"? I know you're definitely not referring to
your own feet!

When you get a small branch going onto the main branch/stem, as you pull
it way from that stem, it tears down a little and you get a small amount
of the main branch/stem. We are talking a very small amount, maybe half an
inch or so and when you look at it sideways, it looks like a boot with the
bit you want as the upright and the bit of the main branch/stem as the
foot and with a 'heel' there :-))

Hope that helps.

Go and try it on something else and see what I mean :-))

Only a small bit, not a tree trunk!!!

Mike

Go and take a peak at the following link. The 'heel' is the whitish bit
pointing down :-))

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...2/pnw0152.html

Mike