Old 05-08-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default man arrested for compost pile

zxcvbob wrote in
:

rachael simpson wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/5/07 1:22 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

In article ,
says...
did y'all hear about this?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...0801horsemanur
e,0,881138

.story

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10117

Florida Man Arrested for Illegally Composting Horse Manure
by: Erin Ryder, News Editor
August 01 2007 Article # 10117

A Loxahatchee Groves, Fla., man has been arrested by authorities
with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection because he
had allegedly collected around 20,000 cubic yards of horse manure,
the South
Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

You wanna have your drinking water supply - well or stream -
downhill from that?

Hell no, but surely you can see the funny side!

my question is: if he's in jail, then who had to clean up the mess??
I sure wouldn't want that job. Another news report on it said that it
would take at least 10 farm (dump) trucks to haul it off. These
articles said some of the piles were 15 foot high....don't you know
that's a mess to have to load up? AVALANCHE!!! lol

"At least 10 dump trucks" is a lot less than 20000 cubic yards. A
standard dump truck holds 6 cubic yards, and the big ones hold 12. So
maybe he had 100 yards of it.

I would get 2 or 3 yards of horse manure if I could, just for my
little garden. It doesn't stink nearly as bad as pig or chicken.

Bob

Depends on the freshness of it. If it's fresh and in large amounts, it
can be pretty funky. Still better than chicken or pig, true, but I
happen to like horses and everything about them -- even the smell of
their shi... er... manure.