Old 06-08-2007, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default Tomato Sauce Recipe?

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

Eaten raw tomatoes are full of flavor, vitamin C and A and lycopene.
Cooked, tomatoes may have even more flavor, reduced amount of vitamin C,
doesn't change the content of vitamin A, and greatly increases the
amount of available lycopene. Just one good deal after another.

The Lycopene thing is why I recently stocked up on Tomato paste.
Gives me an excuse to use it. ;-)

I'm googling for home made low carb Catsup recipes.

don't know that you would consider this low carb...but I'm thinking
about trying it:

Blender Ketchup

24 pounds ripe tomatoes
2 pounds onions
1 pounds sweet red peppers
1 pounds sweet green peppers
9 cup vinegar, 5% acidity
9 cup sugar
1/4 cup canning or pickling salt
3 tablespoons dry mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons ground red pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons whole allspice
1 1/2 tablespoons whole cloves
3 cinnamon sticks

Use an electric blender and eliminate need for pressing or sieving.
Wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until
skins split. Then dip in cold water, slip off skins, core, and quarter.
Remove seeds from peppers and slice into strips. Peel and quarter
onions. Blend tomatoes, peppers, and onions at high speed for 5
seconds in electric blender. Pour into a 3- to 4-gallon stock pot or
large kettle and heat. Boil gently 60 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add vinegar, sugar, salt, and a spice bag containing dry mustard, red
pepper, and other the spices. Continue boiling and stirring until
volume is reduced one-half and ketchup rounds up on a spoon with no
separation of liquid and solids. Remove spice bag and fill jars,
leaving 1/8-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling-
water canner for 15 minutes.
This recipe yields about 9 pints.
Yield:"9 pints"

NOTES : Recipe originally from Michigan State University Extension

http://www.terrypogue.com

recipe courtesy of r.f.recipes