Old 06-08-2007, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default Hedging shrubs easy to propogate

"johngood_____" wrote in message
In a recent request for evergreen hedges I was given this list.

Plenty of evergreen hedges that won't send up suckers, though they all
require maintenance: holly, yew, privet, pyracantha (choose variety
carefully), laurel, box.

Which of these are the easiest to propogate with cuttings please, So I
can produce masses of hedging cheaply?

I've grown pyracantha from cuttings numerous times, it is very easy. I'm in
the process of making a pyracantha hedge in similar fashion. Am also trying
some yew at the moment but it seems very slow to root (better with yew
berries if you can get them).

You may also want to consider Rosa ruggosa which can make an attractive low
growing hedge - you can save the hips and plant the seeds and get lots of
quick growing free hedging - again I'm in the process of doing this for
another hedge.

David.