Old 06-08-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Hedging shrubs easy to propogate

"Gregoire Kretz" wrote in message
johngood_____ wrote:

In a recent request for evergreen hedges I was given this list.

Plenty of evergreen hedges that won't send up suckers, though they all
require maintenance: holly, yew, privet, pyracantha (choose variety
carefully), laurel, box.

Which of these are the easiest to propogate with cuttings please, So I
can
produce masses of hedging cheaply?

Box has a reputation for being easy, but if it's the 'real' box you have
and not something hebe-like it grows reaaaaaaally slowly.
Holly doesn't seem too difficult either, but it needs regular shearing
if you want to keep it compact enough for a hedge.

Not to difficult? Seems to come up as a weed in our garden!! We also have
lots of Bay popping up. We have produced a mixed hedge from that which is
growing already, either with heel cuttings or self setters :-)

In the end, more and more people recommend mixing varieties: quick
growers (hawthorn, hazelnuts, etc.) don't have to be evergreen and will
bulk up the hedge very quickly, while small(er) evergreens in it will
bring touches of colour. It's also much healthier with regards to
diseases: if your hedge catches one, it's more likely to hit only one
species and leave the others alone (think what happens when you only
have leylands, for instance, and the disease hits).
It's also much better for ecosystems: birds and butterflies will thank
you!

The Lleyandi is a 'specimen' near the house and near the boundary. AND it
gets trimmed back to bare wood AND it regrows again :-)

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk