Old 06-08-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Cutting brambles

"NikV" wrote in message

"johngood_____" wrote in message
There is an area nearby completely overgrown with brambles, through

which
I need to clear a simple pathway.

It would seem to me the ideal thing would be a thin bladed sword to

slash
through it. But I don't have one (and I have never seen a similar

thing
in garden tool shops). what would be an alternative method please?

And
would someone recommend a specific tool, if there is one. ( I

wouldn't
want to buy a mechanical 'strimmer' just for this rarely occuring

job).
Thanks.

did a path through head high brambles with a pair of shears - about

10m
long - took a couple of mornings to completely clear, rake and bag up

bits

I recommend heavy gloves, wellingtons, loppers and most of all my
favourite tool, a good spade. The latter will enable you to easily
manoeuvre and cut through the brambles at the required point as you pin
them down with your feet. Also it is a great tool with which to push
them aside, gather them up and bruise them into manageable clumps for
removal. At the same time, with the spade, you will be able to sever
roots on the walkway, as you go.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.