Old 06-08-2007, 03:09 PM
old perennial old perennial is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Bentley View Post
Hi,

Would any of you recommend or warn against using a suitable solution of
Jeyes Fluid to deter grass and weeds growing alongside wood?

A friend has suggested it would be better to use Jeyes than usual
weedkillers because Jeyes, he says, is oily and it will help preserve
the adjacent wood (by keeping moisture out of it).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Eddy.
Difficult to understand the application. Whats the problem with grass and weeds near wood. The wood would have been better 'pressure treated' with presevertive if its in contact with the ground. If the wood is used as an edging then maybe lay some brick paving blocks between the wood and the grass/weeds.

As others have said, Jeyes is used as a path cleaner and outdoor disinfectant. Used for the right application its a good product. The stuff will burn leaves and plants though if it lands on them. It stinks too. When I disinfect my greenhouse with it I use a superspray hose end sprayer so I dont have to touch it. The stink stays around for quite qa while. For anyone wantingto use Jees to wash out their greenhouse I can recommend this sprayer. It dilutes as you spray so you dont contaminate a buckets and you can stay outside while you spray inside. It connects to a hosepipe like a miraclegrow but you can use anything with it. www.superspray.co.uk