Old 06-08-2007, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rust stains on flag stones

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi, I've got some horrendous rust stains on flagstones, from old cast iron
pation furniture.

What's the best way of cleaning these? Can it be done? I've tried all
sorts of the usual things and nothing really seems to work ...

Thanks.

Barb

Phosphoric acid used to be marketed under the trade name of "FOS" we used it
lots on board ship to remove rust stains on white paint work and to treat
prepared bare steel prior to painting, Places like Halfords will no doubt
sell something similar for patching car paint work.
Its only really dangerous if working aloft with it and then only if the
ropes are natural fibres (i.e. we did not have to use full protective gear
to apply it)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk