Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CWatters CWatters is offline

Default Cutting brambles

"johngood_____" wrote in message
There is an area nearby completely overgrown with brambles, through which

need to clear a simple pathway.

It would seem to me the ideal thing would be a thin bladed sword to slash
through it. But I don't have one (and I have never seen a similar thing

in
garden tool shops). what would be an alternative method please? And would
someone recommend a specific tool, if there is one. ( I wouldn't want to

buy
a mechanical 'strimmer' just for this rarely occuring job). Thanks.

You could hire a brush cutter from somewhere like HSS....

http://www.hss.com/g/62116/Brush-Cutter-4-Stroke.html

For a larger areas they have a power scythe.

http://www.hss.com/g/62146/Power-Scythe.html

I used one to clear a one acre paddock of tall grass and weed. Quite heavy
to get in and out of a car but HSS will deliver for a fee. They pull
themselves along like a mower.

If you end up with a pile of brambles it can be a pain to move them to the
bonfire. Try running a rope around the outside of the pile, form noose and
tighten around the whole pile. Then you can drag the lot away to the
bonfire. Burn the rope as well.