Old 07-08-2007, 01:15 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Kevin Van Sant Kevin Van Sant is offline

Default what bug is this ?

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:52:58 GMT, "Daniel B. Martin"
wrote in message
k.net :

Kevin Van Sant wrote:
Anyone recognize these guys? Know how to deal with them? (preferably
organically)

Thanks for the good photo. It helps to identify the
culprit: the striped
blister beetle. Google to find many good images.

These BadGuys devour the foliage on my eggplants. I avoid
the use
of chemicals so I deal with this insect pest by hand-picking
and dropping
them into a solution of water and liquid detergent.

From what I've read, squashing the beetle between your
fingers will produce
an ugly but not dangerous blister. I've handled them
gently without ever
getting a blister. Their favorite defense is to drop to
the ground and scurry
away under the garden mulch. Therefore the recommended
method for hand-
picking is to cup one hand under the leaf and use the other
to brush the
insect into your cupped hand. If practical, position a
container of soapy water
under the left and brush the beetle directly into that.

The population of striped blister beetles fluctuates from
year to year. Last
year they were numerous in my vegetable garden; this year
fewer have been
found.

Good luck.

Daniel B. Martin

That's definately them. Thanks for the ID. I'll put on some gloves
and try to extract as many of them as I can find.

Kevin