Old 06-08-2007, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eddy Bentley Eddy Bentley is offline

Default Jeyes Fluid as weedkiller near wood?

Well, 'twas an old (and seemingly very wise) farmer who told me I should
use Jeyes as a weedkiller. And I must say I'm a little confused. Some
people have replied attesting to its ability to kill plants/weeds, even
an apple tree, so it would seem to be as effective as sodium chlorate or
various other weedkillers. The idea a chum added to this of the old
farmer is that the oiliness, or water-pellancy, in Jeyes would help
preserve the wood while killing off the adjacent line of grasses which
cover the wood and keep it moist so promoting rot. I thought it wise to
ask partly because when I was a little lad and the teachers had us
cleaning out the toilets at the end of every day we used Jeyes diluted
with water and I remember how well it mixed, turning the water milky.
So how could it be water-repellant, I wondered.

Eddy.