Old 06-08-2007, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Veg Traumas

"Janet Tweedy" wrote after
Bob Hobden

Our two rows of pea seeds were all lost the first time of planting to
mice,

My first sowing of modern peas didn't do that well and had a few peas. I
then sowed (on a friend's advice) non plus ultra and alderman, both old
fashioned . They romped away, carried tons of peas and don't seem to
suffer from drought or lots of cool days like the modern types.

Will sow them again next year.

We used to grow them and a couple of other "heritage" tall varieties which I
believe I did share with some on here years ago but we stopped growing them
a few years back as they stopped doing well due to the summer heat. With a
hot summer they simply give up growing and don't crop at all. This summer
they should have done well but not usually down here with the hotter
summers.
We stick to "earlies" only now, Feltham First and Early Onward etc. not that
we have a crop from them this year, but that's down to mice.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden