Old 07-08-2007, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default replacing box hedge

On 7/8/07 08:47, in article ,
"Gill Matthews" Try the
wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm fighting a losing battle against dogs urinating on my box hedging, at
the front of my garden, and making the plants die back.

The box hedging down the path is wonderful and indicates how nice the

front
one would have been.

I was going to take the front ones up and replace them with Lonicera

Nitida
Baggsen's Gold.

Would this fair better against the dogs?

I don't know about the dogs but i have found it difficult to keep Lonicera
Nitida nice and compact and covered with leaves. the moment I turn my back it
becomes afflicted with twiggy bits that only have leaves on the end. I don't
know what variety mine is bit it has variegated yellow and green leaves. ISTR
that gardeners worl program tried it as edging in a formal garden and then
ripped it out for the same reason

Gill, we've grown this as a sort of pillar on one side of a pergola and it
looks lovely. It gets close clipped once or twice a year and is growing on
a stony path with good drainage but not very good soil. I don't know if
those growing conditions make any difference. I think ours is Baggesen's
Gold and again, I'll take a photo and put it up for you to see.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk