Old 07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Smutje Smutje is offline
Registered User

Question Newbie needs help with his Bay Tree and Blackcurrant bush

Hi all,
I just found this site and have a few questions. I am new to gardening (having bought our house in Dorset only last year and never in my 47 years had a garden) but I would like to give it a go as I have a keen interest in cooking and would love to produce some of my own stuff.
I have got a Bay Tree that is about 5ft tall and now be thinking of re-planting it in to the front garden. I want it to grow bigger as I use bay leaves nearly daily and want the tree to mature before I start taking the leaves off on a regular base. Is there any specific time to do it (i.e. spring rather than autumn)?
Also something seems to be eating on it (pictures of the damage can be found here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11090415@N02/
You also can see the pictures for my second question. My Blackcurrant bush seems to develop strange wrinkled leaves, some of them with holes in (again, it looks like something is feasting on it) but I can not see anything apparent.
Do any of you have got any ideas of what is going on?
And lastly I would like to take a clipping from my Bay Tree and start growing a new one with it. I have seen a couple of posts here that say roughly what to do but any chance of giving me a few more detailed hints like where to take the clippings from, what to look out for and how to grow the roots (i.e. do I just stick it in a pot with compost and hope for the best?
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you