Old 07-08-2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
vivian vivian is offline

Default Help! Tomatoes under attack!

Just in the past couple of days I've gone out to the garden and
discovered a rash of half-eaten tomatoes: so far it's been mainly plum
and cherry, but one of lower hanging Black Krim (two thirds of the
lobes still green, but the others ripe) has also been gnawed upon.

I've few problems in years previous; usually just a few half-eaten
super sweets.

All of the nibbled-on fruits remained still on the vine, some rather
high off the ground.

I suspect chipmunks are responsible for the lower nibbling, but don't
see how they could ascend to the much higher cherries. So maybe birds
are eating these?

Anyone have any other ideas about possible culprits? I live in a city
located in Central Wisconsin, very close to a river -- but in a highly
urbanized downtown area.

Any strategies about how I can prevent further pilfering other than
sitting out in the garden with a shotgun?

Just when I was beginning to get my first full rush of ripe tomatoes,
too. sigh

viv