Old 07-08-2007, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ ®óñ©  ©  ²°¹°-°³ is offline

Default Jeyes Fluid as weedkiller near wood?

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:55:52 GMT, "John Vanini"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Hi Eddy,

May I suggest you go to Jeyes website? There they say nothing about being
illegal, killing cats, or any other major problems.

Well they wouldn't would they?

By 2003 regulations, its use is strictly regulated.

It is basically licenced only for sterilisation of hard surfaces
(Pots, glass, tools, drains, greenhouses etc).

Obviously it will kill weeds if used strong enough. And so will
sulphuric acid come to that, but it doesn't mean that it's recommended
or licensed.

I will say that every December, I thoroughly clean my internal and
external greenhouse glass with Jeyes fluid at the recommended strength
(and inevitably, the soil gets a considerable drenching at the same
time as do all the tomato canes if I am intending to reuse them)
I have been using the same soil in the greenhouse for about 10 years,
topped up annually with lots of 6X fertiliser and, touch wood, I don't
at the moment have a problem with blight, viruses etc.
It may be interesting to note that despite thoroughly soaking the soil
with fairly strongly diluted Jeyes fluid, I always get a substantial
crop of self seeded tomato plants where fruit has fallen in the
previous season. I conclude the Jeyes sterilises soil against disease
but has absolutely no effect on tomato (and weed) seeds

It doesn't say it can be used as a weed killer but if you spill it on any
plant (as I've found out, to my cost) it will kill it though it depends on
the strength and the amount used and, I suppose, the weed - so take care!

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³