Old 07-08-2007, 10:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default non-fertilizing pre-emergent

Steveo said:

wrote:
Chas Hurst said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message

It needs to be put down /before/ the weed seeds germinate. That's
early in the Spring, in your neck o' the woods.

I did this last spring. The results were disappointing.

If it was the first time you've applied it, you won't get a 100% stoppage
of the weeds. You won't even be close. You also may have put it down
late, after the seeds had already germinated. "Spring" is a pretty big
window.

There are literally millions of weed/grass seeds in your soil. As each
one germinates, it pokes a tiny hole in the pre-emergent barrier.
Eventually, an undesireable will get through. Keep applying the
pre-emergent at the proper time, at the proper rate, and in a few years
you'll notice a marked decrease in the undesireables.

I have read that some undesirable grasses germinate in the late summer.
Are you claiming this is not so?

Annuals will set seed any chance you give them. But, winter will kill
them off. Putting down a pre-emergent in mid summer will do you *no*
good.

Certain annual grasses are about to germinate again as summer ends.

"grasses" (Ok, I'll give ya that if it's an unwanted grass, it can be
classified as a weed =P )

Now is the approximate time to apply pre-emergent aiming at poa annua
suppression here in N Ohio, timing is everything. It will do *some* good if
applied at the proper time. I've used dimension with some success.

It's a bit hot, don't you think? I'm only a couple states over from you,
and we're in triple digits. Poa's not a problem, and won't be for a couple
months months. It's early, IMO.

Dimension works well for crabgrass, even on seedlings. Does it do the same
for young poa plants (or, only as a pre-emergent)?

--
Eggs

-It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.