Old 01-04-2003, 11:44 PM
swroot

Default Cat Litter (can it be used on my flower beds)

Tony Gent wrote:

The cat litter that my cats used is the wood pellet type that soaks up any
mess. Once it has been used in the litter tray would it be ok to dig in my
flower beds (not veg patch). Has anybody got any info to suggest not to do
this?

Any help on this would be good

I put it in the compost bins, alternating layers with green
garden/kitchen waste. Because I understand the micro-organisms that rot
sawdust require a lot of nitrogen (more, in my experience, than is
present in the used litter if the brown lumps are removed :-) I water
the sawdust with dilute nitrogen-rich liquid, and also sprinkle with
garden lime as it can otherwise become acid. When I get it right the
worms are as happy in the sawdust as anywhere else in the heap, and the
whole lot rots down to rich brown stuff.

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley