Old 08-08-2007, 01:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright Kyle Boatright is offline

Default non-fertilizing pre-emergent

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..
I've got a growing infestation of annual bluegrass and bermuda grass. I
believe the time to apply a pre-emergent is soon here in SE PA. Or am I
wrong?
Is there a pre-emergent available without the fertilizer? I don't want to
put fert on the lawn at this time of the year.
TIA
Chas Hurst

Bermuda??? Yikes. You won't control it with a pre-emergent. That'll take a
serious post emergent, like Fluazifop, Acclaim, or Round-up. (The first two
are semi-selective, depending on what kind of grass you have that you want
to survive.)

Bluegrass is treatable with a pre-emergent, and September is probably your
best bet.

To answer your question, yes, Home Depot (among others) carries pre-emergent
without fertilizer. You may have some difficulty finding it this time of
year (everyone worries about summer weeds, not fall/winter weeds). Also, you
need to verify that the pre-emergent you purchase is effective against the
weed(s) you seek to control. All pre-emergents are not effective on all
seeds...