Old 08-08-2007, 07:31 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Charles[_1_] Charles[_1_] is offline

Default test with grasshoppers on nettle was Urtica dioica (stinging nettle) the plant that evolution created as a reaction to humanity?

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 22:40:23 -0700, a_plutonium
wrote:

I ran a test on grasshoppers on stinging nettle. I rounded up some
grasshoppers to go jumping and flying into
a patch of stinging nettle. The end result was that they quickly
departed or remained "still" if they had landed on
a stem. Once they landed, they remained still until they either flew
away or dropped to the ground. None
moved up the stem. So apparently they were immediately affected upon
landing. Maybe it affects their
joints in their legs.

And of the 3 separate patches of stinging nettle, none had
grasshoppers of their own volition.

An interesting test would be to see if any caterpillers would remain
on the stems or leaves.

And would insects eat nettle if it were the only available plant?

I am not sure, but I think my donkey ate stinging nettle but he is
gone and cannot verify.
I suspect the horse and Llama eat stinging nettle when they are real
hungry and that
they will _not_ eat dock but will eat stinging-nettle. Again, that is
unverified.

I am going to test to see if goats eat stinging-nettle, which I would
guess they easily would.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Try frogs.