Old 08-08-2007, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Effective method to prevent emerald ash borer

symplastless said:

Product pusher. Bayer also claims to be a feeder of trees as well.

You'll learn to sing some other tune when these insects arrive in your
neck of the woods. They are a monumental catastrophe. I live near
ground zero. Millions of ash trees, in forests and back yards, have
been killed. The non-native emerald ash borer attacks healthy trees
as well as stressed trees. The skeletons of dead ash in nearby wildlands
eerie and obvious. All due to a surprisingly small green beetle.

Long term (maybe very long term indeed), breeding resistant strains of
North American ash and finding appropriate biological controls will be
needed or the American ash is history.

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

Should I Replant or Save My Ash? (PowerPoint presentation):
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/file...ProtectAsh.htm

Options for 'do it yourself' homeowners unwilling to give up on their
ash trees:
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/files/E2955.pdf

(As for me, if I had to make a choice, I would the ash tree removed
and be done with it.)

Quote from http://www.emeraldashborer.info/homeownerinfo.cfm

"IMPORTANT NOTE: Using insecticides to control EAB on ash trees is an
option in Michigan and the EAB quarantined counties in Ohio, Indiana
and Illinois. If your tree is located within an area designated for
eradication or suppression activities, it may be removed by regulatory
agencies even if it has been treated. In those cases where government-
ordered tree removals occur within the contiguous EAB quarantine
counties, consideration will be given to ash trees treated by certified
applicators utilizing methods and materials recommended by Michigan
State University. If your ash trees are located outside of this area in
Michigan, Indiana, Illinois or Ohio, using insecticides may not be
recommended. If you are not sure about the regulatory status of your
area or whether you should consider insecticides, please contact your
county Extension office."

(attributed to Don Marti)