Old 08-08-2007, 08:52 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jon[_2_] Jon[_2_] is offline

Default not-very-nice carrots

0tterbot wrote:
"Jonno" . wrote in message
u...
Try proper fertilisers (chook manure mushroom compost after germination
and a healthy head of greens)and plenty of water. I had problems with my
carrots germinating, but irregular water was the prime cause. Also because
they are so close to the surface, they tend to dry out. So keep them wet,
or grow them in a shadier place.
The strong taste tells me not enough water.

hm, but it's a strong bad taste, not just a strong taste.

not enough water is certainly possible, but maybe not probable??

however, i shall start caring for them more carefully & see if that helps.
thanks!
kylie

As well as, I find that incorperating manure in the soil is not a good
idea. The manure should be applied after the carrots get a good topside.
Then apply to the surface. Seems like this is the way nature intended.
Forked carrots are also avoided by not putting it into the soil,
apparently, but Don Burke reckoned that was an old husbands tale.
My carrots are OK now.