Old 08-08-2007, 12:07 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default vines for sheds

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Now if anyone can give me the name of the beautifully-scented soft-yellow
rose that you occasionally see growing outside 1930s houses...?

Any more info than that? What does the bush look like? how full is the
rose? Is it a soft yellow, a strong yellow? Does it have any flushes of
other colour? etc

Well, it looks like a rose-bush -- the ordinary kind of rose you see in
suburban gardens (think of the form of a "Peace" rose, though it doesn't seem
to grow as tall). New growth is that lovely maroon. The flower is a soft
yellow, almost a buff, tending to apricot. It's not a really complex rose
like "Buff Beauty", but has a similar colour. In shape of the flower and
number of petals it is rather like "Peace". The flower is not large like
"Blue Moon", but it certainly isn't small like R. banksiae either. The petals
are thick, not thin like "Iceberg". I have no idea about flowering season as
the bushes I have seen have not been cared-for. The scent is delicate and
fresh -- I've smelt a lot of unpleasantly soapy modern roses (as well as the
unscented ones -- why bother, I ask!).

Does that help? I have occasionally browsed rose books in an effort to find
out what it is, but without success.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue